Welcome to the site! Take a minute to register and join us. It's FREE! (and fun)
The ORIGINAL Aztek Fan Club Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Always stay logged in

Login with username, password and session length
Home Gallery Help Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3.4L V6 Block Teardown Pt.3  (Read 3757 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Wolfy1969
Moderator
100 Club Members
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 197


« on: May 29, 2011, 09:57:41 AM »

At this point, I took off the 4 main bearing caps to see if I had any damage there.  KEEP THESE IN ORDER AND IN THE SAME ORIENTATION THEY COME OFF IN!!!.  A letter/number punch set might come in handy here and/or just a center punch and a series of dots (1, 2, 3 and 4 dots) on the cap and the block will help keep them straight.  The caps themselves have some marking on them.  Actually, it's only the middle two you need to keep straight - the two end ones are rather obvious.  The #1 cap has both a "1" and an arrow pointing towards the front of the engine stamped on it.  It is also a little bit wider than the middle two caps.  The next two caps have an arrow and one dot stamped on them.  The rear cap is a completely different shape and will only fit where it's supposed to go.





#1 main cap bearing half.  Besides the grooving, I was trying to show that there's a lot of tiny pockets from wear on these bearings, but it didn't show up very well.



Cap bearing #1.  Obviously grooving, pocketing going on.  Definitely worn and in need of replacement, but nothing catastrophic.  This engine has 194,000 miles on it and other things I've found while working on it has told me the previous owner did not take very good care of it.  I'm here to fix that, hopefully.



Caps #1 and #2 side by side - note that #1 is wider than #2.



Caps #2 and #3 side by side:



Cap #4:



Crank journal #1:



Crank journal #2:



Crank journal #3:



Crank journal #4:



So again, so what I would call normal wear for an engine with almost 200,000 miles on it, but no 'AHA!' moments so far.

While I was here, I took off the rear main seal.  It just pulls off the end of the crank:







End of the crank with the seal off:



Working from right to left now, some pulled back shots of the crank journals...everything SEEMS ok so far:









Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Theme Underground Yellow